Spending time in Cancun is a wonderful way to enjoy your vacation. Of course, you may be on a budget. That is perfectly ok because so much can be seen and done in Cancun without spending a great deal of money in the process. The key is to learn about the cheapest way to travel to Cancun and then get ready to enjoy the trip of a lifetime.
The cheapest way to travel ahead is to plan and schedule your activities accordingly. There are many great lodging deals to be had, but you will want to reserve them early to get the best deal. Organizing tours and activities ahead of time can also help you save a great deal of money.
Traveling cheaply to Cancun does not mean that you have to sacrifice convenience or fun. In fact, there are many great deals to be had that will leave you basking in all that Cancun has to offer without spending a fortune in the process. Continue reading to learn more about how to travel to Cancun in the cheapest way possible.
Table of Contents
What is the Cheapest Way to Plan a Trip to Cancun?
You will want to do much of your research online if you plan to make a trip to Cancun for as cheap as possible. This is how you will find the best deals on items such as lodging, airfare, and activities to take part in, while in the city. There are plenty of options available to suit virtually any budget.
The following three examples should provide you with a guide about traveling to Cancun cheaply. This will enable you to enjoy your vacation immensely without worrying about how you are going to pay for it.
Look Online for Cheap Airline Tickets
Unless you happen to live near the Mexican border, you will be flying to Cancun. There are limited flights available into this resort city every day, so planning is critical. With only so many airlines flying the route, your options might be limited. However, doing some research will pay off big time in terms of finding cheaper airfare.
The key is to be a bit flexible on your dates. This does not have to mean that you have to be ready to leave at a moment’s notice, but it does mean that you may need to depart on a Thursday instead of a Saturday or Sunday. Being flexible will allow you to find a flight that can be significantly cheaper than others around the same dates.
If you have several people traveling with you, finding a cheaper flight can really wind up saving you quite a bit of money. There are many travel sites available online that will enable you to compare ticket prices into Cancun and choose your flight accordingly. Some of the more popular sites include:
These three sites will provide you with a great launching pad to find the cheapest way to get to Cancun. The savings that you incur from traveling will be money in your pocket that you can spend in other areas as you aim to have the trip of a lifetime on a limited budget.
Choose an All-Inclusive Resort
Cancun has many all-inclusive resorts to choose from as well. The advantages of choosing such a vacation venue are many. They include the following:
- Food and beverages are paid for – These are the two major expenses of any trip. If you enjoy nice meals and plenty of beverages in the evening, then it would be nice not to have to worry about the bill at the end of the trip. With an all-inclusive resort, most of these items are already included, so you are free to indulge to your heart’s content.
- Most activities are included – Unless you just want to lay around by the pool or beach all day, you will probably want to get out and enjoy all that Cancun has to offer. When you stay at an all-inclusive property, many of those activities will be included in the one-time fee that you pay. You can participate in as many as you like without paying any more.
- Pay once for the entire trip – With an all-inclusive resort, you just have one bill to pay. Pay that and you are free to enjoy your stay in Cancun without worrying about having to spend extra money on items or activities that you had not planned for. This gives you a cheap way to enjoy the resort lifestyle.
- No hidden charges or fees – When you see the price quoted by an all-inclusive resort, that is the price that you will pay. There is nothing to worry about in the way of hidden charges or fees, enhancing the quality and value of your vacation.
- Easy to plan your budget – If you are on a budget, going all-inclusive is a great way to maximize it. You no longer need to break down the money you must spend into sections. You just have to save for the entire vacation and then go enjoy it.
When you are looking for the cheapest way to travel to Cancun, choosing an all-inclusive resort is usually at the top of the list. The key is to choose a property where you can take advantage of as many of the amenities offered as possible. This is where you will save money. If you do not use them, then you are paying for items you aren’t taking advantage of.
Consider an Air BNB Property
Another way to enjoy Cancun cheaply is to consider an Air BNB property. This involves renting out a private home, guesthouse, or room within a home. This provides you with several advantages over staying in a traditional hotel type of lodging, many of which have to do with saving money.
- Get access to facilities that hotels do not have – Many aspects of staying in a hotel can be inconvenient and expensive, beginning with meals. If you really want to save money, you will want to cook for yourself. With an Air BNB, you can do exactly that. There are other facilities included with the typical Air BNB that you may not find with a traditional hotel as well.
- More people can stay for less – An Air BNB is a great way to enjoy a cheaper Cancun vacation if you have multiple people in your traveling party. Instead of having to pay for each room separately, you can reserve an Air BNB that is big enough to handle your entire party for the same nightly rate.
- Learn more about the local culture – There are some great Air BNB options in Cancun that will put you in direct contact with the local culture. If you are traveling alone or with just a few other people, you might consider renting a room in a house. You will learn from the local family and gain access to firsthand insight into the city. This is something you cannot gain with a traditional hotel.
- Get closer to the areas you want to be in – Hotels tend to be clustered in certain areas of Cancun. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city but don’t want to pay extra for the privilege, Air BNB is a great way to go. You will find housing options located throughout Cancun, so you can pick and choose what appeals to you the most.
- Save on taxes and fees – There are quite a few taxes and fees tacked onto the price of an average hotel room in Cancun. With Air BNB, those tend to be substantially reduced. You will notice that the vacation becomes cheaper in Cancun the longer that you stay in this resort city.
These are just a few of the many ways that staying in an Air BNB in Cancun can save you money and enhance your experience at the same time. However, there are drawbacks as well. You will need to plan your own activities, food needs, and transportation. If you have those covered, you should find Air BNB a great option for you to consider.
How Much Does the Average Trip to Cancun Cost?
The typical week-long trip to Cancun will cost just over $1,115 for a single traveler. If you are a couple, that price can be expected to increase to just over $2,000. The average cost for a family of four is roughly $3,750. The actual cost will depend on the type of lodging and the number of activities included.
As you can imagine, there are many variables to consider when planning a travel budget for a trip to Cancun. The average prices given here would be for a typical hotel stay and flight, combined with a few activities and basic food and beverage costs. You can wind up spending a lot less or considerably more depending on how you go about planning your trip.
You could potentially save a great deal on airfare. Sharing transport to the hotel or find a property with free transfers can save money as well. If you enjoy breakfast at the hotel or eat at local eateries for lunch or dinner, you can also cut this average price of a trip to Cancun down significantly.
How Many Days Do You Need in Cancun?
It is recommended that you spend at least a week in Cancun in order to enjoy everything that the region has to offer. If you do not have that much time, a minimum of three to five days should be expected in order to enjoy relaxing by the beach and enjoying a few activities during your stay.
There really is a lot more to Cancun than just the beach. If you just want to enjoy the sand and water, then you can get by with just spending a few days in Cancun if that is really all the time that you can spare. However, more time spent in Cancun can bring you in contact more with the local culture and provide you with an array of activities and festivities to take part in.
Knowing the cheapest way to travel to Cancun will allow you to plan for the trip of a lifetime without breaking the bank in the process. There are many great ways to find excellent lodging opportunities and engage in activities that do not cost a fortune. Following the advice in this post will help you to enjoy your trip and save money in the process.